Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Wonder of God's Character

Sermon Nuggets Tues Feb 19

Theme- 7 Wonders of Salvation

Verse- John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.(NIV)

1) THE WONDER OF GOD’S CHARACTER -IS LOVE
We heard on Sunday through Dr. Pat that one difference between Allah of the Muslims and God of the Bible is his character. Allah is angry, stern, and judgmental. The Lord God Jehovah demonstrates all throughout the Bible motivation of love to his own. Yes, He is angry over sin. He is Holy and the curse of sin is death, but to provide Himself through Jesus as the one who saves is an act of love that you would never see with Allah of the Koran.
God never has to be persuaded to forgive. The pagan gods of the world have to be appeased. But these thoughts depicted in this verse and throughout the Bible are unique to our God. “God so loves”.
God initiates salvation. It is his idea because he wants to have all mankind know this love that He gave His son. He acted not for His own sake; he could build 1,000s of more worlds if He wanted. He has angels that glorify him in better ways than we can glorify him, but He loves us. He is not detached; He is not one who created us and then sent us on our own to figure out the purpose of life. His involvement in our world and in our individuals lives is because of love.
One man, seriously ill, was troubled about the little love he felt in his heart for God. His pastor said, “When I go home from here, I expect to take my baby on my knee, look into her sweet eyes, listen to her charming prattle and tired as I am, her presence will rest me; for I love that child with unutterable tenderness. But she loves me little. If my heart were breaking she wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. If my body were racked with pain, it would not interrupt her play. If I were dead, she would forget me in a few days. She has never brought me a penny, but has been a constant expense to me. I am not rich, but there isn’t enough money in the world to buy my baby. How is it? Does she love me, or do I love her? Do I withhold my love until I know she loves me? Am I waiting for her to do something worthy of my love before extending it?”
“Oh, I see it is not my love to God but God’s love for me that I should be thinking of. I do love him now as I never loved him before.”
I Jn 4:10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.(NIV)
The wonder of God’s character is his love.
Pastor Dale