Friday, May 9, 2008

Handling Conflict John 7:25-36

Sermon nuggets Fri May 9, 2008

Theme Conflict

Verses John 7:25-36 At that point some of the people of Jerusalem began to ask, "Isn't this the man they are trying to kill? Here he is, speaking publicly, and they are not saying a word to him. Have the authorities really concluded that he is the Christ? But we know where this man is from; when the Christ comes, no one will know where he is from."

Then Jesus, still teaching in the temple courts, cried out, "Yes, you know me, and you know where I am from. I am not here on my own, but he who sent me is true. You do not know him, but I know him because I am from him and he sent me."

At this they tried to seize him, but no one laid a hand on him, because his time had not yet come. Still, many in the crowd put their faith in him. They said, "When the Christ comes, will he do more miraculous signs than this man?"

The Pharisees heard the crowd whispering such things about him. Then the chief priests and the Pharisees sent temple guards to arrest him.

Jesus said, "I am with you for only a short time, and then I go to the one who sent me. You will look for me, but you will not find me; and where I am, you cannot come."

The Jews said to one another, "Where does this man intend to go that we cannot find him? Will he go where our people live scattered among the Greeks, and teach the Greeks? What did he mean when he said, 'You will look for me, but you will not find me,' and 'Where I am, you cannot come'?"


A Matter of Trusting.

Look at the various responses to Jesus in this chapter: v.5 His own brothers did not believe on him. v. l2..He is a good man..v.l2b He is a deciever. v. 40 A prophet, v. 41 The Christ. v. 42 How can he be? 43..The people were divided. v. 46 No one spoke as this man. are you also deceived.? v.47 "Have any of the rulers believed? It is only the mob who knows nothing of the law. there is a curse on them. "

Doesn't it seem that there is much confusion over who Jesus is? And yet this is the crux of a decision that anyone is faced with in this life whether they lived 2,000 years ago or whether you live now. There ultimately comes the question of what are you going to do with Jesus.

There are questions that are asked in these last verses. "Isn't this the man they are trying to kill? (yes He is) “Have the authorities really concluded that he is the Christ?” (no they haven't) Jesus declares to them that He is the one who is from above. He knows God because he is from heaven.

They were waiting for the one from God and they could identify that one as the Messiah, so then is stands to reason to look at the next question: "When the Christ comes, will He do more miracles that this man?" The obvious answer is, "no he will not". When the Messiah comes, will He do more--could he do more--than Jesus? Who could do more to convince anyone that He is the Messiah? He said it; He showed them miracles; He was not attached to the things of this world. Why should He be when He lived in glory?

When I went to India I was grateful for a bed to sleep on while the hosts slept on the floor. But I realized this was only a short time without air conditioning and intermitted electricity because I was soon to go home to my own bed, cooler temperatures, a car and a wife. I appreciated what I needed for the journey but that wasn’t home and I wasn’t attached to it. Jesus was not attached to this temporary world while on a temporary journey. He was awaiting to go home knowing His time here is limited. It wanted His followers to also have this insight.

When we ask who is Jesus, think of the influence He has had, not just on the church and among Christians, but on socieites. Look at the greatest social changes and reform that occurred and still occurs because of Jesus. No other religion can claim that. At the time of Christ the world was a place of cruelty and horror, Slavery was practiced, Gladiatorial contests encouraged. Prejudice running ramped. It was because of the followers of Jesus Christ that slavery changed, the Roman games were changed, places of refuge were provided, there was food for the poor, education, hospitals, orphanages, Could the coming of another Messiah do more than this?

The last question was “where will Jesus go so we will not find Him? How can we find Him?” We can only find him by trusting in Him.

How do we face a crowd antagonistic to Christ and to Christians? It is trusting Jesus and realizing that the ways of man will pass. The ways of God endure. It is getting the eternal perspective on truth and living it out, or dying to new life. Fear no man. Trust in God. He will never leave you nor forsake you, even through death.

Pastor Dale