Monday, October 6, 2008

A Time of Confusion John 16:17-20

Sermon Nuggets Mon Oct 6

Theme – Hope

Verses: John 16: 17 Some of his disciples said to one another, "What does he mean by saying, 'In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me,' and 'Because I am going to the Father'?"
18 They kept asking, "What does he mean by 'a little while'? We don't understand what he is saying."
19 Jesus saw that they wanted to ask him about this, so he said to them, "Are you asking one another what I meant when I said, 'In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me'?
20 I tell you the truth, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy.

A Time of Confusion
I was taken by the phrase, “What does he mean” in verses 17, & 18 & 19. That question the disciples were asking among themselves came as a result of Jesus telling them part of the story, but not the whole thing. He would be with them for awhile. They would see not see Him. Then they would. He was going someplace.

I certainly identify many times with the disciples. More than I want to admit. I don’t have a clue what God is up to. I feel confused. I find myself not able to explain why God does what He does sometimes. I am not able to explain His purposes in some of life’s unanswered questions. I don’t know why sometime He leads in ways that do not turn out the way I anticipate or expect. I am confused!

If the disciples were confuse knowing more of the story than the prophets of old, how might our Old Testament saints felt? The promises given to Abraham certainly didn’t come about in his lifetime. The fact that the descendent of Isaac were inheriting the promised land, yet Jacob and his family had to leave for Egypt or starve to death. That must have brought about confusion to the unfilled or partly fulfilled promises. It was 400 years before Moses re-entered the land. How confused those leaders must have been during that times of slavery.

I am so glad I live after Jesus came to earth. I understand so much more revealed in the Bible how Jesus fulfilled the prophecies in His life and in His death. The cross makes so much more sense 2,000 years later than it did during the disciple’s day. The resurrection puts things in amazing perspective as revealed by the Lord. The ascension and the coming of the Holy Spirit answer so many questions and brings perspective to some of the promises.

Even knowing Jesus is coming again which will fulfill prophecies that haven’t been completed yet allows for excitement and hope and increases faith and trust.

Still I am humbled by the fact that I do not understand the mind of God and why He does some of the things He does. I have been given so much more information than people of old, but there is still so much that is a mystery. I identify with confusion.

Yet I take comfort in two things- I only know part of the bigger story. And secondly, He knows what He is doing and it will all work out for good and for His glory. I take comfort in the fact that He wins. There are no surprises. He is not confused. There is more to be revealed. And there is one reason that he keeps us in the dark. It is not time yet for all things to be completely revealed. Jesus doesn’t mind the questions. But knowing the WHO is more important than knowing the WHY.

When we are confused, the answer is to trust in the sovereignty of God and grow in the faith that comes from what we do know. God is love. God is powerful. God is carrying out His plan. God desires us to love Him. God wants us to obey Him. God never asks us to be part of His advisory committee but to ask for wisdom. The rest is up to Him. Some day we will understand. Until then don’t let your confusions bog you down in your faith walk. Jesus certainly understands. There is more to come.

Pastor Dale