Monday, November 24, 2008

Mocking John 19:1-16

Sermon nuggets Mon, Nov. 24

Theme- Mockery

Verses- John 19:1-16

Making Fun
As I type this title I realize the only fun that may be gained from most mocking is by the ones who do the mocking and the audience being entertained. It certainly is not fun for the one to be mocked, unless it is done by friends for mutual humor or love.

I still think of the incident when as a 12 year old, my son Bryan pretended to be me in church. I was being mocked, but in a fun way. He tried to tell one of my jokes, and tapped on the microphone to see if it was working. He wandered around the stage and pretended to forget where he was in the “sermon” because he wandered mentally from the subject at hand. I could laugh because it was funny. But it also pointed out some of the characteristics that others could identify and also laugh. I did not feel put down.

Justin, also at a young age, decided at home to pretend he was me when he sang. It was off key and jumping from octave to octave in the middle of phrases. (I try not to sing much in the microphone.)

I laughed at the imitation of Tiny Fey portraying Sarah Palin during the recent political campaign. The looks were remarkably similar. Her accent, although exaggerated, was humorous. Politicians in our society are expected to be mocked.

But when someone is loved by us and that person is mocked, it also becomes an insult, not only to him or her, but to us. When we see someone who is a victim and bullied it also can raise feelings of anger and injustice to the innocent person being mocked. I do not take kindly to smeone who is retarted being mocked. It is not funny to have someone immitate another with a physcial disability. Many people with speech impediments no longer want to talk when others laugh at their expense.
It hurts.

It also bothers me greatly to see God, who is to be revered above all, to be made fun of. I love religious humor but even though I pass on a weekly joke in my blog, it is never about the Lord. He is not to be the subject of ridicule or mocking. When it comes to our Lord any such “fun” is really blasphemy.

When a cartoon characterization was made a couple of years ago of Mohammed, many Muslims rose in anger and even violence at the offense. Yet, Jesus Christ is constantly mocked by our world as well as when he was up for trial prior to his crucifixion.

I was listening to a tape awhile ago by James Dobson. He quoted a letter from a schoolgirl to another. “To Awful Janet. You’re the stinkest girl in the world. I hope you die. But of course, I suppose that is impossible. I have got some ideas: 1 play in the road. 2. cut your throat. 3. drink poison 4. get drunk. 5. Knife yourself. Please do some of these you big, fat girl. We all hate you, you big fat girl. I am praying, ‘ O Lord, please let Janet die. We’re in need of fresh air. Did you hear me, Lord, because if you didn’t we will all die with her here.” From Wanda Jackson.

Such emotional words can carry painful scars long into adulthood. We can say that Wanda Jackson just didn’t know any better. She is only a school girl and her emotions got away from her. Kids can be cruel to other kids.

But whenever I think of the suffering of our Lord, the sin that causes me the most sadness is the mocking He received. It points out clearly in my mind, the depravity of man at his worse. I cannot understand why God did not wipe out the whole human race not at the point of rejection, or hatred, or even murder, but to be laughed at and spit upon, stripped naked, and ridiculed at the hand of those whom he created in the first place.

As we review the events to the cross we talked the arrest in the Garden, and the trial of Christ, and now in the hands of the Romans we see some of the suffering. The Lord suffered physically, emotionally, mentally psychologically all his humanness.

Listen this week to how often people are mocked. Think of your own words and actions that put down other people to make fun of them. How would they feel? Jesus knows how they would feel. Jesus know how you feel when you are object of ridicule, laughter, and humiliation.

Pastor Dale